Our latest innovation in nutrient targeted therapy for equine athletes. MicroBiome Support™ for the hindgut is a proprietary micro-encapsulated slow release formulation that provides a nutrient, Sodium Butyrate, naturally produced by the horse in the hindgut through microbial fermentation of fiber. However, this nutrient is not present in high enough concentrations in the hindgut in horses in heavy training, horses that have digestive dysfunction, or they are enduring high levels of stress in their daily routine. MicroBiome Support™ for the hindgut is highly recommended for horses with horses off feed, those being treated with antibiotics and to help prevent hindgut dysfunction in heavily stressed horses.
Butyrate is a short chain fatty acid naturally derived from fiber fermentation in the intestine of the horse. However, like glutamine, during times of stress adding additional butyrate to the diet can help to maintain a healthy intestinal lining. Supplemental Sodium Butyrate has been shown to help prevent, inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis and diarrhea. It is also beneficial in the following areas:
- Stimulate digestive enzyme production
- Enhance development of intestinal villi increasing surface area which improves feed utilization
- Reduce acute inflammatory response of the gut lining
- Serve as major energy source for colon cells
- Improve insulin sensitivity
- Inhibit cancer cell growth and the secretion of host defense peptides
- Affect and prevent the colonization of Salmonella and Campylobacter
- Positively influence the composition of the gut microbiota
Feed one teaspoon twice daily in feed. Can be dosed orally in oil if needed.